Saturday, April 23, 2011

Speaker

Definition: The narrator of the poem or the first person of the poem

Example:
Oh Susana
I came from Alabama
wid my banjo on my knee,
I'm g'wan to Louisiana,
My true love for to see,
It raind all night the day I left
The weather it was dry,
The sun so hot I frose to death
Susana dont you cry.
[Chorus] Oh! Susana Oh! dont you cry for me
I've come from Alabama wid mi ban jo on my knee.
[Solo] I jumped aboard de telegraph,
And trabbelled down de riber,
De Lectric fluid magnified,
And Killed five Hundred Nigger
De bullgine buste, de horse run off,
I realy thought I'd die;
I shut my eyes to hold my breath,
Susana, dont you cry.
Stephen Foster

Significance: When we use first person perspective for our poem, we can express more feelings of the characters and the thoughts that the characters are thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment